May 24th, 2017
Memorial Day didn't become an official holiday until 1971, but Americans started gathering annually in the spring to remember those who lost their lives in war during the 1860s, right after the Civil War. Celebrated on the last Monday in May, people still decorate the grave sites of war veterans and hold memorial services, but Memorial Day has also evolved into a day that signifies the beginning of summer.
During the summer months, many people take road trips to visit family members. Some head off to the airport to enjoy a long-awaited vacation far away, while others look forward to spending time with friends and family at home. However you spend Memorial Day and the subsequent summer months, there are a few things you can take care of to ensure your summertime is enjoyable.
Checklist for an Enjoyable Summer
- Have the AC Checked. During the hottest days of summer, many families find themselves sweating it out due to a broken air conditioning system. Be proactive so you can avoid waiting for hours or days because the HVAC repair person is booked solid. Have your air conditioning system checked before or around Memorial Day each year.
- Ensure Security While You're Away. When you leave for vacation, the last thing you should have to worry about is the security of your home. Install a home security system, if possible, and put a timer on your lights so they go on and off at normal hours. You can also alert your local police department that you'll be gone, and ask them to drive by your house once in a while to make sure everything is okay.
- Visit Dr. McSweeney Before Vacation. Many people put off exams until after summer vacation. Avoid the crowds and make sure your physical and oral health are in top shape prior to vacation time so there are no unpleasant surprises.
Our team at McSweeney Orthodontics wants you to look forward to Memorial Day and the days of summer by preparing to spend the time safely and comfortably. As you plan ahead, take care of your health and secure your home, you can place your focus on creating memories with family members and friends while enjoying your favorite Memorial Day traditions.
May 17th, 2017
The iTero® Intraoral Scanner has revolutionized the way orthodontic impressions are taken. Now there's no need for messy, uncomfortable molds. Getting high-quality and accurate impressions has never been easier or more reliable.
When a patient comes to our Plattsburgh and Saranac Lake office for a consultation, Dr. McSweeney will need to take records of the person’s teeth and bite. Having a replica of a patient’s teeth and bite enables the orthodontist to plan out and visualize the most effective and timely treatment plan.
Traditionally, this was achieved by creating a plaster mold or cast. Putting the impression material and trays onto the teeth can be an uncomfortable process for many patients, especially those who have a sensitive gag reflex.
All that is history with iTero digital impressions. Our patients and team members alike love the speed and accuracy of the iTero Intraoral Scanner. We simply move the wand around your teeth and gums, and within seconds, you get a high-quality, accurate, and color digital impression. That’s all there is to it!
Here’s what patients love about iTero:
- There are no messy and gag-inducing molds involved.
- It’s quick, so the process doesn’t interfere with your busy schedule.
- It’s painless and can be used on even the most pain-sensitive patients.
- Impressions are saved in a digital format, so there’s no risk of molds breaking or needing to be recast.
- Cutting-edge accuracy makes for more timely, comfortable, and effective orthodontic treatment.
Our Plattsburgh and Saranac Lake office is equipped with the latest iTero technology to make your office visit a breeze. So many aspects of our lives have been digitized and simplified, why should your orthodontic treatment be any different?
If you’re thinking about getting braces or clear aligners, iTero will optimize the experience and help ensure you get the best treatment you possibly can!
May 10th, 2017
"Motherhood: All love begins and ends there." - Robert Browning
We would like to take this moment to thank all the great moms out there for being so great during their child’s visits to McSweeney Orthodontics. Whether it’s driving their kids to regularly scheduled appointments or for “being there” while their child is treatment, the moms who come to our office are all stellar individuals, so Dr. McSweeney and our entire staff would like you to know that we appreciate you all!
Happy Mother’s Day and enjoy your special day!
May 3rd, 2017
The merry month of May also happens to be National Fitness and Sports Month, so take advantage of the warmer days to get outside and exercise! Bringing a friend, family member, or coworker with you when you go for a brisk walk during a lunch break can provide an opportunity to socialize as well as health benefits. If you need a little more motivation, here are some good reasons to stay active and fit.
- Improved stamina and energy as well as toned muscles and bone strength and density
- Improved circulation and breathing for a healthier heart and lungs
- Reduced risk for Type 2 diabetes and certain forms of cancer
- For older adults, regular exercise may help improve balance and reduce the risk of falls as well as improved cognitive abilities
Children and Teens
Children and teenagers spend long hours at their desks in school, on the computer, watching television, and involved in other sedentary activities that result in obesity and poor health later in life. Getting them engaged in school or community sports teams can help them form good life-long exercise habits. One important note: If they are participating in contact sports, Dr. McSweeney and our team at McSweeney Orthodontics recommend your kids wear an approved mouthguard to protect those valuable teeth from injury! Ask us for a proper fitting of your safety appliance during your next visit!
A gym membership is nice but not necessary to stay fit; try these easy ways to work some exercise into your daily routine.
- Take a friend along for company on a walk through your neighborhood.
- Pursue gardening or other yard work, including mowing or raking.
- Take your kids on a bike ride or have them push a baby stroller around the block.
Couch potatoes take note: simply moving from the sofa to the floor for some sit-ups, leg-lifts, or push-ups while you’re watching television can help you get in better shape in no time.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take exercise breaks for walks around the building or parking lot.
- Walk or ride a bike to work.
So what are you waiting for? Get moving!
For more information on exercise techniques, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. McSweeney, please give us a call at our convenient Plattsburgh and Saranac Lake office!